Connect with us

Top Stories

Deepti Sharma warned Charlie Dean (Dont leave your crease)

Published

on

Since Saturday, when off-spin all-rounder Deepti Sharma ran out England’s Charlie Dean in the 44th over at the non-striker’s end to get a 16-run victory for India over England at Lord’s to complete a 3-0 sweep, the cricketing world has been divided over whether the Indian team should have warned her before effecting the run-out.

Now, Deepti, who stopped in her delivery stride to run-out Charlie from the non-striker’s end, has revealed that prior warnings were given to the batter before she was finally run out for backing up too far from the crease.

“It was a plan because we had warned her (for leaving the crease early) repeatedly. Whatever we did things was as per the rules and guidelines. We had told the umpires as well. But still, she (Charlie Dean) was there (outside the crease). We couldn’t do much,” said Deepti to reporters after arriving at Kolkata airport.

With a majority of England cricketers, both men’s and women’s, disagreeing over the mode of dismissal apart from the spirit of cricket debate, Deepti has found people speaking in her favour, with Ravichandran Ashwin, Virender Sehwag, Wasim Jaffer and Alex Hales backing her for following the rules.

Advertisement

Only last week, in the changes made by the International Cricket Council (ICC), the method of effecting a run out from the non-striker’s end was moved from Law 41 of ‘Unfair Play’ to Law 38 of ‘Run out’ section, making it no longer an unfair mode of dismissal.

Earlier, former India captain Anjum Chopra told IANS on the sidelines of the Legends League Cricket (LLC) match between India Capitals and Gujarat Giants in New Delhi on Sunday, that Deepti had all the “rights” to run out Charlie from the non-striker’s end, saying, “if it was wrong, TV Umpire would have given not out”.

“ICC has made these laws and it has been derived from the UK itself. Deepti had all the rights to run out a batter because the batter had left the crease prior to the delivery being bowled.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Article

Why US Army had to retreat from Afghanistan?

Published

on

By

Finally, the world has seen the withdrawal of American forces from Afghanistan after a long period of time. The US army stayed in Afghanistan for almost 20 years after the 9/11 attacks. The withdrawal of US forces from Afghanistan has taken place in wake of the Doha Agreement which was signed by the Trump administration and Taliban in 2020.

In this agreement, the Taliban assured the Trump administration that all efforts will be taken to stop al-Qaeda from operating in Taliban-controlled areas as well as there will be negotiations between the Taliban and the future Afghan government in pursuit of a permanent ceasefire.

Trump administration agreed for gradual reduction of forces of United States from 13000 to 8600 by the end of July 2020, to be followed by complete withdrawal latest by 1st May 2021. The withdrawal was conditioned with compliance from the Taliban for what they agreed.

 

Advertisement

The Taliban began a final offensive on 1 May. On 8 July, Biden specified a new completion date of 31 August. Biden considered but rejected extending the withdrawal deadline beyond 31 August. There were about 650 US troops in Afghanistan in early August 2021, tasked with protecting the airport and embassy. US intelligence assessments estimated as late as July that Kabul would fall within months or weeks following the withdrawal of all American forces from Afghanistan, though the security situation deteriorated rapidly.

Summarising we can say that Doha Agreement served as a critical point in the withdrawal of US forces from Afghanistan since after this agreement American Government, after achieving all objectives, decided no to say any further in Afghanistan.

Continue Reading

Trending